In this two-day course, attendees will gain an understanding of the role of a Scrum Master in a SAFe enterprise. Unlike traditional Scrum Master training that focuses on the fundamentals of team-level Scrum, the SAFe Scrum Master course explores the role of the Scrum Master in the context of the entire enterprise, and prepares attendees to successfully plan and execute the Program Increment (PI), the primary enabler of alignment throughout all levels of a SAFe organization. This includes learning the key components of Agile at scale development, how Scrum is facilitated throughout the enterprise, and how to execute Iteration Planning.
Attendees will also discover how to build high performing Agile teams by becoming a servant leader and coach, and how to coach those teams to deliver the maximum business value at scale. SAFe 4 Scrum Master (SSM) certification signifies that people are prepared to perform the role of Scrum Master in a SAFe environment, increasing their value to teams and organizations that are implementing SAFe.
The following individuals will benefit from this course:
- New Scrum Masters who need to perform the role
- Existing Scrum Masters who would like to understand their role in the context of a SAFe enterprise
- Team Leads who want to understand the Scrum Master role
- SAFe Release Train Engineers who want to coach Scrum Masters on their role
Job Role Description / Target Audience:
A Certified SAFe® 4 Scrum Master (SSM) is a SAFe Scrum Master professional responsible for integrating Scrum practices into an organization.
To perform the role of a SAFe® Scrum Master, attendees should be able to:
- Describe Scrum in a SAFe enterprise
- Facilitate Scrum events
- Facilitate effective Iteration execution
- Support effective Program Increment execution
- Support relentless improvement
- Coach Agile teams for maximum business results
- Support DevOps implementation
- Introducing Scrum in SAFe
- Characterizing the role of the Scrum Master
- Experiencing Program Increment planning
- Facilitating Iteration execution
- Finishing the Program Increment
- Coaching the Agile team
Key Areas of Competency
- Using Scrum and Kanban to facilitate team events
- Supporting program execution
- Coaching Agile teams
What Attendees Get
- Printed workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® 4 Scrum Master (SSM) exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
Attendees must attend both days of the course in order to qualify for the exam.
All are welcome to attend this course, regardless of experience. However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended for those who intend to take the SAFe® Scrum Master (SSM) certification exam:
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and principles
- Awareness of Scrum, Kanban, and eXtreme Programming (XP)
- Working knowledge of software and hardware development processes
SAFe Certification Kit
Attendees who pass the certification exam will receive:
- SAFe Scrum Master certificate
- A SAFe 4 Scrum Master digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- A one-year certified membership as a SAFe Scrum Master, which includes access to the SSM Community of Practice
- A SAFe Scrum Master certification usage guide with SSM certification marks
- Access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey
The first step toward becoming an Certified SAFe® 4 Scrum Master is to attend the SAFe® Scrum Master course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam Name: SAFe® 4 Scrum Master Exam
- Exam Format: Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam Delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam Access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe 4 Scrum Master course
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Exam Duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of Questions: 45
- Passing Score: 33 out of 45 (73%)
- Language – English
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Exam Study Materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course Materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to reference back to the content that was specifically presented during the class.
- Study Guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice Test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam*, and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Test